Inland Spain Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fig tree

5 posters

Go down

Fig tree Empty Fig tree

Post  Brian Davies Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:46 am

Has anybody got any advice on fig trees, are there different varieties, what do I need to do to look after them etc. Thank you in advance

Brian alien

Brian Davies

Back to top Go down

Fig tree Empty Re: Fig tree

Post  DEVON.DAVE Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:03 pm

Hi Brian. Im afraid I know diddly about fig trees or anything gardening to be honest. But I was advised not to put one anywhere near where you would want to sit, as they are terrible for attracting flies. affraid
DEVON.DAVE
DEVON.DAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  confused.es Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:46 am

Figs are fairly hardy and resiliant but may get "cut back" by frosts. In really cold areas this can be a problem if you want fruit because figs are first produced on last years growth before a second crop on the new growth. Bear this in mind when pruning and simply take out old branches to stimulate new growth. They like good well drained soil in full sun but too good soil leads to more leaves and less figs. They are surface rooting and, coupled with the fact that a restricted root run leads to more fruit, this makes them suitable for cultivation in large tubs. Possibly a good idea in really cold areas. Because they don't have deep roots, they need water when it's really dry but not poorly drained soil. Figs are best when allowed to ripen on the tree and the fruits are actually flowers which have grown in on themselves. Is that enough? Smile

confused.es

Back to top Go down

Post  Indalo Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Excellent reply. Are you a bit green fingered then confused?
Indalo
Indalo

Back to top Go down

Post  confused.es Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:59 pm

Not unless I've been painting... (wink) I asked my hubby.

confused.es

Back to top Go down

Post  DEVON.DAVE Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:05 am

Im useless at gardening, so I may be asking how to revive all the plants and shrubs ive trashed, so please stick around confused! Rolling Eyes
DEVON.DAVE
DEVON.DAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian Davies Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:48 am

Wonderful replies, thank you all! Im thinking if I grew on in a pot then I could move it to keep the flies away. It may be a bit heavy though! Perhaps ill try another type of tree, something slow growing. Any suggestions.

Brian Davies

Back to top Go down

Post  DEVON.DAVE Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:26 am

I struggle with roses, me. Ive planted some a short while ago, but if they do anything it will be a miracle. Shocked
DEVON.DAVE
DEVON.DAVE

Back to top Go down

Fig tree Empty Trees

Post  Andalucian Equines Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:13 am

I don't know much about them but brought two fig trees and two cherry trees and a pomegrante tree from Baza market in April, all youngsters, the pomegrante tree is going mad, growing well, the two fig trees although young have produced fruit albeit three each and the cherry trees have really grown, i stuck a load of horse manure in with them and water every other day !!!!!!!!! Also stuck prickly pear cactus in all over the place and they have gone mad aswell, the soil is bad, very hard, but all are thriving here Smile

Andalucian Equines

http://www.andalucianequines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum